Is the Chinese Money Plant Poisonous to Humans? Pros and Cons

Do you know that there is a whole different world of beliefs and opinions about money plants? Some people believe they are harmless, while others believe they can be poisonous to humans. There are a lot of misconceptions about this plant out there, and it can be hard to know which ones to believe. So, in this blog post, I am going to try to clear up some of the confusion about this plant and its effects on humans.

 For 100%  proof and clearance, I ate it many times in raw and cooked, and nothing any serious issue occurred to my body.

One of the interesting facts about Chinese money plants is that sap of it is not highly poisonous when consumed by humans.  If an adult drinks a small amount of this sap, it won’t kill you! If a pet or child eats Chinese money plant leaves, they may experience swelling in their mouth, tongue, and throat, vomiting, and loss of motion.

In my Cactus garden, I planted different types of money plants including the Chinese money plants. Over ten years I am with the Chinese money plant. Let me share with you all the nitty-gritty toxic facts of the Chinese money plant. 

Is the Chinese Money Plant Toxic to Kids?

The tree contains arsenic. Despite the small dosage, special care should be taken if there are children in the house. Poison is dangerous for them in any quantity. An eaten leaf can cause not only diarrhea and vomiting but also a severe allergic reaction.

 In some cases, there may be a loss of consciousness. Preventing a problem is easier than fixing it. When children appear, the tree is removed to an inaccessible place or disposed of.

Many common indoor houseplants, including pothos and dieffenbachia, contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mouth pain and stomach upset.

Your kids may face  temporary speechlessness that can occur after tasting its stem, besides the other possible consequences may occur like:

  • Oral irritation, 
  • Intense burning,
  •  Irritation of mouth, tongue, and lips, 
  • Excessive drooling, 
  • Vomiting,
  •  Difficulty swallowing.

Before you call the doctor, keep in mind that eating toxic houseplants is not considered life-threatening. Still, it’s a good idea to keep them out of reach of small children.

What to Do If Chinese Money Plant Is Eaten by Kids?

Try to vomit them if it is ingested into their gut. Call a professional doctor and consult with him.

If you decide to plant a Chinese money plant, make sure that you have a proper care and feeding process in place so that your child doesn’t come in contact with it. 

Are Money Plant Leaves Poisonous to Humans?

The leaves of the money plant contain raphides of calcium oxalate which can cause oral irritation, vomiting, and difficulty in swallowing if it is consumed by pets. However, it does not seem to be a problem for humans.

Raphides are crystal needles that can be sharp at one end and blunt at the other.

These plant leaves are considered toxic to cats, dogs and children, but non-toxic to adult humans.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), listed it as toxic to cats and dogs.

What Are the Risks of Planting a Money Plant for Your Child?

The risks of planting a money plant are high. If your child accidentally eats one, they could get extremely sick. The plant can also be poisonous, and if ingested, it can cause serious health problems.

What to Do If You’ve Eaten a Chinese Money Plant 

You don’t need to be concerned too much if after consumption you feel okay. If you’ve eaten a Chinese money plant in an excessive amount and feel bad, you need to call the poison control center or get emergency medical attention.

If not treated in time, it can lead to kidney failure and liver failure which can be fatal as well.

Symptoms of Chinese Money Plant Poisoning

The most common symptoms of plant poisoning are nausea and vomiting. Other symptoms of plant poisoning include

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever and confusion
  • Seizures
  • Stomach cramps
  • Allergic reaction

Is the Chinese Money Plant Edible?

The Chinese money plant is a good source of currency. Shiny, leathery, thick, dark green pancakes (hence the alternative name of pancake plant) balance on long, thin red stems. They may not be tasty, but they’re definitely a treat for the eye!

What Are the Risks of Eating the Chinese Money Plant Flowers?

The Chinese money plant can be dangerous if consumed in large doses. The leaves are dark green and have small, pointed teeth. The flowers are pink or purple and are used to make herbal tea.  Some side effects of the Chinese money plant include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.

Money plant twig

 If you decide to eat the Chinese money plant, be sure to do so in small doses and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet.

The plant is a member of the legume family and can be eaten in small doses. You don’t have to be careful with the Chinese money plant when eating it. 

What Is the Tea from the Chinese Money Plant?

The tea from the Chinese money plant is a relaxant and sedative that has been used in China for centuries. It’s also been used to treat anxiety, depression, and other conditions for which it is effective.

Is a Chinese Money Plant Good for Health?

Money plants improve air quality by removing airborne pollutants from indoor air. They do this by removing benzene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and xylene from the room’s air. The money plant is known to help in easy breathing and has a positive effect on the overall health of people living with respiratory problems.

In 1989, NASA has conducted a study that tested indoor plants’ ability to filter the air and remove the foul gases from the air, which improves human health.

Can We Cook Money Plants?

They can be eaten raw or cooked, or ground into flour. The cooked young leaves and flowers are also edible. 

What Are the Disadvantages of a Money Plant?

Indoor Money plants, if not kept as per Vastu principles, may have some disadvantages. If the plant is kept outside the house or if it has stunted growth, then it is considered inauspicious, as per Vastu Shastra.

What Is Plant Poisoning?

Plant poisoning is a type of poisoning that occurs when people consume plants that are toxic or poisonous. Plant poisoning can happen by eating the plant or by touching the plant and then touching your mouth, eyes, nose, or other body parts.

Plant poisoning is caused by the ingestion of toxic substances. The most common types of plant poisoning are tree poisoning and vegetable poisoning.

Plant poisonings can be caused by the ingestion of toxic substances, such as pesticides or herbicides, or by contact with plants that have been sprayed with these substances.

There are many different types of plant poisonings. Some common types of plant poisonings include:

  • Tree Poisoning
  • Mushroom Poisoning
  • Herbicide Poisoning
  • Nicotine Plants

How to Plant a Money Plant Safely

If you’re looking for a way to teach your children about money, you might want to try planting a money plant. But be warned: Chinese money plants are definitely not safe for children. In fact, they can be very dangerous!

To plant a money plant safely, you should follow these tips:

1. Contact a professional to help with the planting process.

2. Make sure the soil is dry and free from stones or other obstacles.

3. Water the money plant regularly and make sure it has plenty of water to grow.

4. Keep your money plant away from children and other pets.

Final Thoughts

Though the Chinese money plant is mildly toxic if it is consumed in small amounts, it can be harmful if consumed too much. But be alert about your pets and children. The conscious and knowledgeable uses of the Chinese money plant may be healthy in humans, but the reverse may also be true if not aware of its proper use.

Anwar Hossain

My name is Anwar Hossain. I am a cactus lover, researcher, and cactus blogger.

Recent Posts