The Carnegiea gigantea requires very little maintenance, but it does benefit from some fertilizer every spring and summer to keep it healthy and thriving. This type of fertilizer comes in granular form and should be applied directly to the roots of the Carnegiea gigantea once every 3-to 4 weeks during the growing season between April and August. During winter, you will not need to fertilize your Carnegiea gigantea. In fact, you should not fertilize your Carnegiea gigantea in its first year after repotting.
The “best fertilizer for Saguaro cactus” is a broad question, and there are many factors to consider when choosing the right fertilizer. An experienced Saguaro cactus grower will know that different cacti have different needs, and there are many resources out there to help you figure out the right mix.
Our Top Picks: Jobe’s 06703 Succulent Fertilizer Spikes, 12, Natural
Jobe’s Organics fertilizer for cacti and succulents delivers vital nutrients including nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sulfur – plus a proprietary blend of other essential micronutrients. The fertilizer is balanced for optimal absorption by plants.
Jobe’s Organics 12 Count Succulent Spike Pouch comes in a re-sealable package with a moisture-resistant cap that prevents moisture from entering the pouch. It is safe to use with both liquids and granular fertilizers allowing you to use your own choice of fertilizer or use it as a stand-alone fertilizer. It is also a great way to transport your plants for shows or vacations.
- Jobe’s Organics has developed a new and innovative way to help grow saguaro plants and cacti in both potting soils and directly in the ground.
- The specially formulated organic spikes are designed to be inserted directly into the soil or potting mix of potted plants or placed into the ground in the landscape.
- “The slow-release formula will last for up to 12 months,” said John Jobe, founder of Jobe’s Organics. “The spikes are all-natural and pet-friendly with no waste runoff.”
- According to their OMRI registration, the spikes can be used on all varieties of succulents and cacti. The spikes are made from an organic material that is fully biodegradable. No chemicals, pesticides, or fertilizers were used, making them safe for all plants, people, and pets.
- “The organically enhanced spikes help promote strong root systems and abundant foliage,” said Jobe.
- There is no need to over-fertilize with the use of these organic spikes because they deliver vital nutrients directly to the roots. What’s more, this product is pet friendly and low odor, which means there is little worry about burning delicate roots with fertilizer runoffs.
- The spikes are easy to sink into moist soil.
- It is derived from bone meal.
- These fertilizer spikes reduce workload and, more importantly, they have done a super job of keeping saguaro healthy and blooming!
- This is made from real ‘manure’ and absolutely stinks. The smell is unpleasant.
Andersons PGF Complete 16-4-8 is a highly concentrated, the plant-available blend of nutrients for a variety of turfgrass applications.
The combination of phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and calcium is key to healthy, lush turf.
Andersons PGF Complete contains Humic Acid and micronutrients to promote plant health and reduce nutrient needs, while the slow-release nitrogen in this formula provides uniform growth and extended feeding.
This formula is NOT phosphorus-based, so it will not harm your lawn if you water it with water that has not been treated with a non-phosphorus treatment.
The small particle size gives you twice the number of particles per square foot. DG particles disperse quickly and completely when watered, moving directly into the soil.
Unless a soil test shows that you need a nutrient adjustment, the majority of experts and studies say the same thing: apply a 4-1-2 ratio fertilizer for the best results as a regular maintenance application.
PGF Complete 16-4-8 is formulated with that 4-1-2 ratio (16-4-8) and is also high in iron and other micronutrients.
- With its quality formulation, PGF Complete 16-4-8 can provide the high-performance results you need for your saguaro cacti.
- It includes Humic DG, a compound that naturally increases the ability of plants to absorb nutrients and water by releasing them over a longer period of time.
- It also provides essential micronutrients and iron along with slow-release nitrogen, which allows for feeding for up to eight weeks.
- PGF Complete is available in pallet quantities at the following quantities: 40 lb., 18 lb., 5 lb., 2.5 lb., 1 lb., and 1/2 lb.
- This product also works best if you have already taken care of weeds on the lawn prior to use.
- It is mainly a slow-release product.
- . It’s a multi-season approach and takes time to build your soil up.
- Southern Ag All Purpose 10-10-10 is a balanced fertilizer that can be used on flower beds, shrubs, trees, bushes, vegetables, and fruits.
- It contains nitrogen (N) at 10%, phosphorus (P) at 10%, and potassium (K) at 10%.
- It also contains calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), sulfur (S), iron (Fe), boron (B), zinc (Zn), manganese (Mn), copper (Cu), and molybdenum.
- This fertilizer provides uniform nutrition for your plants.
- Southern Ag All Purpose 10-10-10 is safe for use on a variety of plants and grasses. Made with urea as the nitrogen source, it reduces the likelihood of burning from over application.
- The fertilizer was easy to use.
- Packaging is resealable for easy storage.
- Too small of a pack.
- It is not returnable.
Espoma Organic Cactus! Plant Food, Natural & Organic Fertilizer for all Cactus, Succulents, Palm, and Citrus both indoors and outdoors, 8 oz,
When you’re planning on taking care of a saguaro cactus for the long haul, it’s essential to start out with a proper foundation. Espoma Organic Cactus Fertilizer provides that base by delivering the necessary macro and micronutrients, as well as beneficial microbes, to ensure superior results.
- Espoma Organic Cactus Fertilizer 8oz.
- Promotes Growth & Flowering.
- All-natural & organic.
- Mix with water ~ Feed instantly.
- Beneficial microbes ensure superior results.
- Fresh soil usually is fertilized so it would feed saguaro properly without extra fertilizer.
- It does not smell that awful.
- The way to measure this is very messy and one needs to be quick and nimble.
Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer
Worm castings are the excrement of worms, and they can be used as a natural fertilizer.
The entire process of worm castings production is ecologically clean and is done inside a closed system.
Worms are fed only with food wastes, paper, and cardboard. The final product contains humus, microelements, and nutrients which stimulate plant growth.
The Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Worm Castings formula contains a fatty proportion of water-soluble nutrients that helps the saguaro cactus consume all necessary nutrients efficiently and comfortably.
Worm castings also provide a perfect mix of nutrients that are not readily available but are available for long-term nutritional needs. This helps the saguaro cactus to eat for weeks and months at a time as needed.
All you need to do is use a tiny amount in your saguaro cacti.
This enables roots to increase and fibrous, which facilitates vigorous plant growth.
- Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Worm Castings is an excellent organic fertilizer. These castings can be used to feed your plants, flower beds, and lawns.
- They are made from earthworms that have eaten decomposing matter from your yard and transformed it into a nutrient-rich substance. That is why these castings are so rich in nutrients.
- Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Worm Castings’ slow-release formula will feed your plants for long periods of time.
- A single handful of the powder will provide nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, copper, zinc, boron, and more nutrition necessary for healthy growth! Earthworm castings also help to improve soil quality by adding organic matter to it and by improving drainage. In addition to all this, they are 100% natural and organic.
- Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Worm Castings have been shown to improve growth rates in plants as well as improve their appearance. When fed to vegetables Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Worm Castings increase yield by up to 300%.
- These castings are perfect for indoor and outdoor plants; houseplants, vegetables, flowers, and more!
- These small football-shaped particles help boost the aeration of the soil as they don’t pack together.
- It has no odor whatsoever…. Smells earthy.
- If there is such a thing as beautiful dirt, this is it.
- Little more expensive
Types of Fertilizer for Saguaro Cactus
Houseplant fertilizers are available in liquid, granular, and slow-release formulas. It’s also possible to purchase worm castings as a nutritional supplement. Each kind has both advantages and disadvantages.
Liquid- Liquid fertilizers are the easiest to use and most popular with saguaro owners. They come in spray bottles or concentrated formulas that have to be diluted before use. Liquid fertilizers release nutrients instantly, so they should be applied at least once a week, preferably more often when the plant is actively growing.
Liquid fertilizer is available in several different forms:
- In concentrate forms in many different sizes from gallon jugs to small bottles that contain enough nutrients to feed your cactus for a month or more.
- As a spray bottle with concentrated formula inside.
- As a premixed spray bottle.
Granular- One of the most common types of fertilizer for saguaro cactus is granular. Granular fertilizers are available in various formulas and concentrations, with one of the most popular being a 10-10-10 formula. These fertilizers have been shown to be effective on all types of plants, including cacti, and can be easily applied.
Fertilizers are affordable and easy to use, simply requiring the user to mix them into the soil. They should be reapplied every 4 to 6 weeks.
Slow-release- Slow-release fertilizers are a convenient way to nourish your lawn. They come in many different forms, from pellets, balls, spikes, and capsules. As their name suggests, slow-release fertilizers break down slowly over time, and some can last up to 9 months. They’re a good choice if you don’t want to have to remember to spread fertilizer every month or two.
A downside of slow-release formulas is that they provide the user with less control over the rate of fertilizer release. If the coating on the granules cracks or dissolves too quickly, then too much fertilizer could be released at once. Overfertilization can lead to yellowing leaves and other problems.
Worm castings- act as a natural fertilizer that contains key nutrients like carbon, calcium, nitrogen, and magnesium. They also act as a pH amendment, helping the soil to absorb nutrients more readily.
Organic fertilizers are made from a combination of natural ingredients, such as animal manures, agricultural residues, and plant materials. They might also contain inorganic ingredients like peat and rock phosphate.
In addition to providing nutrients to plants, organic fertilizers are often used to amend soil conditions and improve soil structure by increasing water retention, aeration, and drainage. Organic fertilizers break down over time, so they must be reapplied to maintain the desired level of nutrients in the soil.
Organic fertilizers generally tend to release nutrients over time and might not produce instant results. One downside of organic fertilizers is that they may have an unpleasant smell.
Inorganic fertilizers- Inorganic fertilizers are a popular choice among growers and gardeners. Manufactured in a lab, inorganic fertilizers are composed of man-made ingredients that are sometimes derived from natural sources. They are formulated to meet the unique needs of a variety of plants, but they contain chemicals that increase their nutrient density. The synthetic nature of inorganic fertilizer lends itself to the easy application and odorless results.
Buying Guide To Juicy Fertilizers
When you’re a new gardener, it’s easy to be tempted by the enticing descriptions on a bottle of fertilizer. And if you’re someone who doesn’t have a lot of time to research, you may also count on the manufacturer’s promises and instructions to give you that extra push. This guide will help you determine what’s really important in fertilizer. Read on what we need to decide before buying fertilizers
Obviously, fertilizers can be bought in liquid and solid forms. In addition, liquid fertilizers can also include foam and spray types, while solid fertilizers consist of capsules and granules. For the latter, all you have to do is sprinkle them around the soil and mix them lightly with the first 5 cm of topsoil.
The NPK ratio is the ratio of three major nutrients: nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K). This ratio is important for maintaining the health of your plants, as these nutrients are essential for growth. If there is too much of one nutrient and not enough of another, a deficiency may occur. A balanced NPK ratio like 2-2-2 is ideal for full growth.
Fertilizer vs. Plant Food
Fertilizers and plant foods are different in that fertilizers provide nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (NPK), but whole plant foods do not. Plant-based foods are preferred for strains that lack the essential micronutrients beneficial for growth. Alternatively, fertilizers provide the plant with an adequate amount of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.
We didn’t want to miss any product worthy of our attention, so the list was long. We are confident that you have finally found the right product for your greens. If you’re still unsure, we can help by listing our top three favorites.
While the Jobe’s 06703 Succulent Fertilizer Spikes, 12, Natural has a long-lasting formula, the Plants Saguaro Fertilizer is one of the best granular fertilizers on the market.
And The Andersons Professional PGF Complete 16-4-8 Fertilizer with 7% Humic DG 5,000 sq ft, which contains Humic Acid and micronutrients to promote plant health and reduce nutrient needs.
And the third one,Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer slow-release formula will feed your plants for long periods of time.
It’s time to close the curtains. We hope you find the right product for your needs. Be sure to read the instructions before purchasing!